NewsGate Press Network

One Indian workers is reported to have been killed in an Ukrainian drone strike on the Russian capital city of Moscow.

Apart from the killed Indian worker three other persons died in the same drone attack.

Media reports are quoting Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin stating that at least 12 people were injured in the overnight strikes, while Russian authorities claimed that 81 drones targeting Moscow were intercepted.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the drone strikes, calling it entirely justified.

Meanwhile, Embassy of India in Russia in a statement on social media, said an Indian worker was killed, and three others were injured in a drone strike that hit Moscow region.

The embassy added its officials visited the attack site and met the injured workers in hospital. The embassy expressed condolences and said it is coordinating with local authorities to provide assistance.

The attack comes just days after a major Russian missile and drone strike on Kyiv that killed at least 24 people.

Meanwhile Al Jazeera was reporting on its website that rescue workers were searching the rubble in the village of Pogorelki in the Mytishchi district in wake of attack by Ukrainian drones.

The same report on Al Jazeera added was quoting a Russian Defence Ministry sources that they had intercepted 556 drones overnight and into Sunday morning, with another 30 drones shot down after dawn.

Russia says that the interceptions took place across 14 regions in their country as well as in the Crimea and over the Black and Azov seas, in one of the largest Ukrainian aerial assaults of the conflict so far.

Sheremetyevo airport, Moscow’s largest, said drone debris had fallen on its grounds but caused no damage.

Ukraine’s security service, the SBU, later said Ukrainian forces had struck an oil refinery and two oil-pumping stations in the Moscow region.

“Strikes on defence industry facilities, military infrastructure and oil logistics sites reduce the enemy’s ability to continue its war against Ukraine,” the SBU said in a statement posted on Telegram. “These attacks show that even the heavily protected Moscow region is not safe.”

The attacks came after United States President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, suggested the war could be nearing an end. Trump said last week he believed Moscow and Kyiv would “soon reach a deal” to stop the fighting.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky defended the strikes, calling them “entirely justified” and saying they were a response to continuing Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities, the Al Jazeera website reported.